Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mental mama signing in

I figured there would be some sort of organization to the madness of being a full time working mother. I had seen others do it, and figured "why not me?" I had worked hard to get to this job and this place in my life without a lack of bumps along the way. I figured having a baby would just be another addition to my already chaotic life.

People warn you that you won't sleep a full night for the first year, at least. That you will be worn down and tired all the time, and your work may suffer. You are told your life will change and your old habits may die with that nice soft, flat tummy you once shown so proudly. I can go on and on about what people have warned me about and what they advise as "the right way to raise a child".

In my experience with working with mentally ill adults and children there is a constant I notice. That constant thing is a lack of a consistent, predictable, supportive familly. Whatever your definition of family may be; weather broken, two moms or two dads, one parent or grandparents. Maybe foster parents.

Keeping a family together and keeping kids on the right path takes alot of work and responsibility. I cannot go into detail about what I see at work or anything about my students, but I can post my struggles with being a "mental mama" and trying to raise a a child of my own.

I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment